The older buildings comprising of the Tower Brewery were erected when Tadcaster Tower Brewery was founded in 1882. The company was formed by a small group of ‘honourable’s’ (younger sons of baronets), hence the brewery became known locally as Snobs Brewery. The building site was bought from the North Eastern Railway Company who had purchased the land from the local squire, Sir Edward Brooksbank, when Tadcaster was planned to be linked with the main railways in the North East. Sadly this project never came to fruition.
In 1946 Hammonds Bradford Brewery co-purchased the Tadcaster Tower Brewery Company. With more than 700 pubs the company was one of the largest brewing concerns the country and it was decided to rename the company to Hammonds United Breweries Limited. In the late 1950’s it was clear that the Tower Brewery was better placed for the expansion necessary to cope with the increased demand, and it was decided to go ahead with the construction of a new bottling store. It was completed in 1959 together with a new administration block. This was the first substantial improvement since the brewery was built.
In 1962, United Breweries merged with Charrington’s of London to form Charrington United Breweries making the company one of the largest brewing empires in Great Britain. The famous Toby Jug was taken as its emblem. In 1967 the name changed above the door of Tadcaster Tower Brewery yet again when Charrington’s merged with Bass, Mitchells and Butler to form Bass Charrington.
In 2002 Bass was purchased by Coors. Following the merger between Molson and Coors in 2006, Coors Brewery Ltd changed its name to Molson Coors Brewing Company UK Ltd in 2009.
The company has several brands under its belt. Prominently it owns the sole contract to produce Carling in the UK and it also produces Coors Light and Grolsch. The company is currently the 5th largest brewer in the world with a 20% market share and has recently bought out the majority share on Cobra beer and is running contracts for Magners Cider.