A 1⁄4-mile upstream from the Wharfe Bridge an imposing viaduct of eleven arches spans the River Wharfe. It was originally built as part of the projected Leeds to York railway and was promoted by the industrialist George Hudson through the York and North Midland Railway. The construction of the line was authorised in 1846 and it was to run from Copmanthorpe to Cross Gates, joining the Church Fenton to Harrogate railway line between Tadcaster and Stutton. The collapse of railway investment in 1849 lead to the line being abandoned after the viaduct had been constructed. The need for the line evaporated with the opening of the Micklefield to Church Fenton line in 1869. Between 1883 and 1959 the viaduct carried a siding that serviced a mill on the East side of the River Wharfe. The last time the viaduct was used to fetch and carry goods was in 1955. The structure is now a grade II listed building owned by Tadcaster Town Council for the local people and visitors to enjoy.
For more Infomation Visit: http: tadwalks.org.uk